LINUX Operating System
Linux is basically multi user, multitasking operating system. It provides character interface & graphical user interface. Both for interacting with computer.It was originally designed and developed by ‘Linux Bendict Torvalds in the year 1991.
- The objective behind developing Linux was to bring out an operating system, which was low in cost and had the power of UNIX operating system.
- Its Version is available free of cost to everyone.
- Many software developing companies have incorporated many functionalities into it and are marketing it .Red Hats Linux is one such operating system and many more also exist.
- Linux also has powerful networking features incorporated in to it and has built in internet facilities.
- Linux has gained popularity these days and is emerging as parallel competitor, window and UNIX operating system.
- Linux operating system provides both type of user interface. It supports CUI & GUI both. graphical interface provides windows look alike working environment, features like drag and drop, cut and paste, file sharing , multitasking etc. are also available in Linux. Character user interface of Linux is really powerful and provides thousands of commands for doing wide variety of tasks.
Some Linux Commands which are used in day to day function:
ls display the name of all files present in current directory
cat display the content of file
cp copy the content of a file to another file.
mv move a file from one directory to another
mkdir makes a new directory
rmdir removes a blank directory
cd user can move from one directory to another
pwd display the name of current directory(current working directory)
vi edit a file
passwd change the password
chmod change file permissions
who display the names of all current users
grep searching the occurrence of a given string in a file
Syntax: $grep filename(s)
sort sort the given content either in ascending order or descending order
find finds file, if the file of given name is present.
Linux is powerful operating system, which is getting more popular everyday. Large population of personal computer (PC) and laptops comes with preloaded Linux, These days it is likely to gain, more popularity in coming future.
Advantages of Linux:
- Low cost
- Stability – it has high stability with other OS .there is no need to reboot the Linux system to maintain performance level.
- Performance – provides high performance on various networks
- Networking-Linux provides a strong support for network functioning.
- Flexibility- it can be used for high performance server applications, desktop applications.
- Compatibility-it can process all common file formats.
- Fast and easy installation
- Better use of hard disk
- Open source
Uses of Linux:
- Server and supercomputer
- Embedded devices
- Market share